Work Visas

These are typically temporary visas, which often can be renewed and can last for up to several years, but are filed when the job offer is not being used to apply for permanent residence in the US.  Sometimes, after having had the temporary visas, it is possible to change to a different category of visa or apply for permanent residence visas.

If you are interested in one of the work visas described below, please complete our contact form and we will send you additional information and questionnaires to determine eligibility.

B-1 Temporary Business Visitor

You may be eligible for a B-1 visa if you will be participating in business activities of a commercial or professional nature in the United States, including, but not limited to: consulting with business associates, traveling for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a conference on specific dates, settling an estate, negotiating a contract, participating in short-term training, transiting through the United States, etc.

H-1B Visas – Specialty Occupation/ Fashion Models

This visa category applies to people who wish to perform services in a specialty occupation, services of exceptional merit and ability relating to a Department of Defense (DOD) cooperative research and development project, or services as a fashion model of distinguished merit or ability.

In order to obtain an H-1B Specialty Occupation visa, there are several requirements that need to be met: The “Employer” company must be offering a position that qualifies as a “Specialty Occupation”. A specialty occupation is one that requires the services of a holder of at least a baccalaureate degree in the relevant field. The beneficiary (foreign employee) must show that he/she has meets the required educational requirements and degrees. If a person lacks the necessary equivalent degree, he/she may use a combination of his/her experience and education to meet the H-1B requirements. The present standard is: three years of progressively responsible training/experience equals one year of university level education. If the Employer wishes to sponsor the foreign employee using a combined education/experience model, an “experiential evaluation” of the alien will be required.

Additionally, the Employer is responsible for paying the beneficiary employee the current prevailing wage in the industry for the entire period of employment. The first step in the H-1B process is to obtain a prevailing wage determination. Prevailing Wage is the amount of base salary a company must pay its foreign workers. The second step in the H-1B process is to secure the approval of a Labor Condition Application for the company. An approved LCA demonstrates to USCIS that the company has agreed to comply with prevailing wage standards and that employment is not being taken away from other qualified US workers. Once these approval notices have been received, the application for the H1-B can then be filed.

It must be noted that there is a limited number of H-1B visas available each year (85,000 in total). Visa petitions can start to be filed from April 1st each year. As H-1B visas are filed and issued, they are counted against the cap number. Preparations for filing of the H-IB petitions should be started early on in the year.

The spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age of H1-B visa holders may apply and accompany the H1-B employee to the USA. Although they can live and study in the USA, they are not authorized to work.

H-2A/H-2B Visas – Seasonal Temporary Workers Agricultural/Non-Agricultural

These two visa categories apply to aliens seeking to perform services of a temporary or seasonal nature in the United States on a temporary basis (in the Agricultural field and Non-Agricultural Field).

I Visas – Representatives of Foreign Media

Occupations under this category include reporters, film crews, editors, and similar occupations. Spouse and children under the age of 21 may accompany or follow to join an I visa holder. You must show that you represent a foreign information media outlet (press, radio, film, or other foreign information media), that you are coming to the United States to engage solely in this profession and that you have a home office in a foreign country.

L Visas – Intra-company transfers

L-1 visas are temporary visas available to executives, managers and specialized employees moving to their employer’s US affiliate sites. The qualified employee must have worked for a subsidiary, parent, affiliate or branch office of the companies for at least one year out of the last three years. The US company must be a parent company, child company or sister company to a foreign company. L visas are issued initially for one to three years, with two year extensions. L-1 visa holders may apply for permanent residency without jeopardizing their L-1 visa status.

The transferring employee may be accompanied or followed by his or her spouse and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age under the L-2 nonimmigrant category. Spouses of L-1 workers may apply for work authorization.

O Visas – Extraordinary Abilities

The O-1 visa is for individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or for individuals who have demonstrated a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and have been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements. Extraordinary ability in the fields of science, education, business or athletics means a level of expertise indicating that the person is one of the small percentage who has risen to the very top of the field of endeavor.

Extraordinary ability in the field of arts means distinction. Distinction means a high level of achievement in the field of the arts evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered to the extent that a person described as prominent is renowned, leading, or well-known in the field of arts.

To qualify for an O-1 visa in the motion picture or television industry, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary achievement evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition significantly above that ordinarily encountered to the extent the person is recognized as outstanding, notable or leading in the motion picture and/or television field.

P Visas – Athletes and Entertainers

[fancy_list style=”circle_arrow”]

  • P-1 Athletes/Performers – The P-1 visa applies to you if you are coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance or to perform as a member of an entertainment group that has been recognized internationally as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time. Initial term of visa would be for the time it will take to complete the event, competition or performance, not to exceed one year for performers and five years for athletes.
  • P-2 Reciprocal Exchange Program – The P-2 classification applies to you if you are coming temporarily to perform as an artist or entertainer, individually or as part of a group, who will perform under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country.
  • P-3 Artist or Entertainer Part of a Culturally Unique Program – The P-3 classification applies to you if you are coming temporarily to perform, teach or coach as artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, under a program that is culturally unique. The initial time of visa would be for the time required to complete the event, not to exceed one year.


R-1 Visas – Temporary Nonimmigrant Religious Workers

An R-1 is a foreign national who is coming to the United States temporarily to be employed at least part time (average of at least 20 hours per week) by a non-profit religious organization in the United States (or an organization which is affiliated with the religious denomination in the United States) to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation.